The Indo-US Clinical Research Ethics Fellowship Program has been jointly conceptualized by Department of Bioethics, National Institutes of Health (NIH) and Department of Biotechnology, GoI Under the aegis of Indo –US Vaccine Action Programme (VAP). The program has been designed to create leaders in the field of bioethics with the aim to create capacity in the area of clinical research ethics. After completion of the project, the fellows are expected to work towards capacity building in the area of clinical research ethics in India and establishment of centres of excellence. Centre of excellences are expected to serve as resource for guidance and policy related to the ethics of clinical research in India.
The objective of the program is to provide funding support to selected individuals with strong scientific background with interest in the field of Clinical research. The present RFP for fellowship aims towards building a critical mass of trained scholars who will contribute actively to the clinical research ethics in India and establishment of centres of excellence.
The program will support research projects in the field of clinical research ethics including, but not limited to, ethical aspects of:
- Ethical aspects of vaccine research and clinical trial
- Research subject recruitment in clinical research
- Informed consent taken during the clinical research
- Research with stored biological specimens
- Return of unanticipated research results
- Research on novel technologies such as stem cells, CAR-T treatment, and gene therapy
- Controlled human infection models
- Research with vulnerable populations such as prisoners, children, or the socioeconomically
Fellowship & Research Grant Amount:
A Fellowship amount of Rs. 2.00 lakh/annum for candidates who have a permanent position in the host institute or Rs. 10.20 lakhs/annum for those candidates working on temporary /contractual/adhoc position, with additional research grant not exceeding Rs. 40 Lakhs for a period of 3 years for each selected fellow (Two candidates only), by NBM-BIRAC. The selected fellow shall be eligible for short focused visit for the purpose of research at NIH’s Department of Bioethics, US, which will be supported by NIH, US.
Any interested fellow person having the following eligibility can apply with the endorsement letter in the desired format from the Host Institute. Selection of the Host Institute shall be subject to qualifying the eligibility criteria provided below.
- Fellow Applicant –
- The applicant should be an Indian citizen. This fellowship is open to Persons of Indian Origin (PIO) and Overseas Citizen of India (OCI).
- The upper age limit for this fellowship is 45 years at the time of the submission of application, age will be calculated by taking the date of closure of the call.
- The applicant must have obtained PhD in any area of Life sciences/Medical sciences/Pharmaceutical sciences or M.D./M.S./M.D.S or equivalent degree from a recognized university in India. Those who have submitted their Ph.D. thesis and are awaiting award of degree are also eligible to apply, but their selection will be subject to the condition that they would have submitted thesis before the expiry of the validity of the award offer.
- The fellows will NOT be allowed to work with their Ph.D. guide/co-guide and in the same department/institute from where they have earned their Ph.D./M.D./M.S./M.D.S. degree. The award will provide both a fellowship and a research grant.
- Preference will be given to applicants who hold a permanent/tenured position in any Institution/University recognized in India complying with the eligibility.
- The applicant should have an excellent track record (i.e., peer reviewed publications or equivalent)
- Applicant cannot have more than one fellowship at a given point of time.
- Applicant should have a valid passport and be eligible for an appropriate U.S. visa.
Announcement Date: 01-07-2022